Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Help (new window)
Sign In
BSA Banner

Medical Requirements for Camp

Each Scout, Venturer, Explorer and leader must have a valid medical exam signed by a physician to attend camp.  Exams are good for one year from the date the form is signed. Exams must be valid for the entire time a Scout or Scouter is in camp.

Leaders who will be spending fewer than 72 hours in camp during the week are considered visiting leaders. They will not be required to have a physician's statement, although they must check in at the camp office and provide Parts A and B of the Annual Health and Medical Form updated within the last year.

Please note: Visiting leaders are not allowed to swim, boat, mountain bike, rappel or any other physically challenging activity without a medical exam signed and dated by medical personnel.
The Annual Health and Medical Form is available for downloading from the Forms page or click here: Annual Health & Medical Form.

The following medical personnel are authorized to provide school medical exams in the state of Missouri, and are acceptable for camp medicals: Doctor of Medicine (MD)

  • Doctor of Osteopathy (DO)
  • Physician's Assistant
  • Nurse Practitioner

Each youth and leader will be given a medical recheck upon entering camp.  Medical exams are not available at camp.

Please be complete in listing any medications or allergies that your son or daughter may have.  Medications may be administered in the following manners as you choose:

  • If mature enough, your child may self-medicate.
  • We prefer your leader holds the medication. Your son or daughter should report to their leader at the time required to take his medication.
  • If your child's medication needs refrigeration or injection, the camp medical personnel should administer.  Your child will be responsible for reporting to the daily sick-call at the camp office.

NOTE: Camp is not the time to stop or alter your son or daughter's medicinal requirements, especially those drugs used to treat hyper-activity or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD).

Parents are responsible for the cost of any treatment that cannot be done in camp.  Non-emergency transportation of a Scout or leader to a hospital is the troop's responsibility. In case of an emergency, transportation will be provided by local medical ambulance with the cost being the parent's responsibility.

Our council provides limited accident and sickness insurance on a secondary basis through American Insurance Company (ACE). The parent's insurance is the primary responsible party.  Questions regarding Scout insurance should be directed to the MacArthur Service Center at 314-361-0600 or 800-392-0895.