NOTE: All the links on this page will open in a new browser window so that you can refer back to this page at any time.
to go to the Philmont website.
SEA BASE & NORTHERN TIER CANOE BASE ADVISOR TRAINING
training sessions for Sea Base and Northern Tier Canoe Base Advisors are held during the University of Scouting at Fox High School. Sessions are planned for units already scheduled for 2014 and those planning for 2015 trips. These sessions are intended to be the primary training for Advisors who will be leading their units. The specific time and location will be announced.
PHILMONT 2015 COUNCIL CONTINGENT LOTTERY PROCESS
Reservations for the year 2015 council contingents will be conducted through a lottery process. Listed below are the procedures for the Philmont sign-up:
- Lottery registration forms must be submitted to our Camping Department by February 1, 2014. Reservations may be mailed but must be postmarked by February 1, and received February 7. Mail to: Camping Department, Greater St. Louis Area Council, 4568 West Pine Blvd., St. Louis, MO 63108-2193
- A full crew is comprised of 12 participants. Participants may be from the same unit or cooperating units. You must be realistic when estimating attendance to avoid unnecessary expense or forfeited fees, and to permit the maximum number of units to make a reservation. Units are responsible for full payment of fees of the number of reservations made for the lottery.
- All crews of the council contingents will consist of 12 participants. The Camping Department reserves the right to rearrange, or add to crews in order to meet the 12 member crew size.
- A lottery drawing will be held on February 8, 2014. Units will be notified of their placement in the lottery via email immediately following the lottery.
- Units that are placed in a council contingent must submit individual registration forms and deposits by March 15, 2014. Any unit that fails to submit the registration forms and payment by March 15will lose its placement and the next available unit on the waiting list will be contacted. If mailed, it must be received by March 15, not postmarked on that date.
- Keeping with Philmont's policy, units with a confirmed 2014 reservation may not place a reservation for the year 2015. Units or individuals may not attend two consecutive seasons at Philmont. Reservations may not be transferred from one unit to another. Our Council's Camping Department will maintain a waiting list and will contact the next available group in the event of a cancellation.
- The cost of the council contingent for 2015 is $1,085. A nonrefundable deposit of $200 per participant must be included at the time individual registrations are submitted to our Council's Camping Department. The fee for 2015 will include 3 additional travel meals; dinner and breakfast going out, dinner on the return (breakfast on your own).
Philmont’s refund policy is that there are no refunds. Consult this policy on their website, www.philmontscoutranch.org
. Our Council organizes contingents to keep costs for Scouts and leaders low by combining travel costs, and by providing spots for those who may not be in a troop or crew large enough to support a Philmont crew. We collect fees and forward them to Philmont on your behalf. We also bid bus transportation. All fees, deposits, and balances are non-refundable nor transferable.
In the case of extreme circumstances we have known Philmont to grant some of their fee as a refund. But we as a Council must request that refund on your behalf, and if granted, we do not receive that refund until March the following year. We do not refund any travel fees, as they are based on a full bus. If there is an empty seat on that bus, we pay the same. Refund requests need to be submitted in writing to our Council office no later than September 1, 2015.
Refund requests will not be submitted to Philmont for any of the following reasons or the like:
”I didn’t make the height/weight restrictions”
”My son broke his arm, so I wouldn’t want to go without him”
”My Dad can’t go now, so I don’t want to go…”
Philmont is a commitment; physically, financially, and time.
The dates for the 2015 contingent are:
- June 12-26, 2015
- June 24-July 8, 2015
- July 6-20, 2015