The Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting of Greater St. Louis serves to provide spiritual enrichment and guidance to Orthodox Christian scouts, scout leaders, and scout parents living in the St. Louis region. The Committee operates in affiliation with the national Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting (http://eocs.org
), which was founded in 1960 and functions as a pan-Orthodox ministry under the Standing Conference of Canonical Orthodox Bishops in the Americas (SCOBA). The committee serves the needs of scouts from all Orthodox jurisdictions, including Greek, Antiochian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Romanian, Russian, Ukrainian, and the Orthodox Church in America.
CALLING ALL SCOUTS!
Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, Cub Scouts, Brownies, Daisies
Explorers and Campfire Kids
Eastern Orthodox Scouting Workshop
Sunday, November 24, 2013 @ 1:00 p.m.
St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church
Family Life Center
12550 S. Outer 40, Town & Country, MO 63141
(Mason Road exit off Highway 64/40-take South Service Rd. ¼ mile East)
Earn your Eastern Orthodox Religion Scouting Award!
Share ideas with Scouts from other Parishes!
The Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting supports Orthodox youth through an extensive Religious Award program. The program is designed around a scout’s spiritual life. It gives the scout a chance to work closely with scout leaders, parents, and their parish priest to earn their award. The learning and unique bonds formed during this process helps to form a solid spiritual foundation that will last for the rest of their lives.
There are 3 Youth Awards and 1 Adult Award:
- St. George Award – Grades 1 – 3
- Chi-Rho Award – Grades 4 – 5
- Alpha Omega – Grades 6 – 12
- Prophet Elias Award – Adult Recognition Award
How do I earn a religious award?
- You or your scout leader orders the award booklet from P.R.A.Y. Publishing by calling (314) 845-3318 or by visiting www.praypub.org
. The EOCS-St. Louis can provide these books at a nominal cost.
- You work on the booklet during various scouting activities and under the guidance of your parish priest.
- When completed, the priest signs the form in the booklet and it must be returned to P.R.A.Y. for the medal & certificate. There is a modest fee for the medal.
How is the award presented?
- It is recommended that the award be presented twice, once at the unit level and also at the conclusion of a Sunday church service along with a scout leader to emphasize that scouting is a valued part of Orthodox Youth Ministry.
The national Eastern Orthodox Committee on Scouting also has a scholarship program for deserving scouts. The scholarship is issued yearly to two scouts. If you would like to donate to the scholarship fund or apply for the scholarship, go to http://eocs.org
Event announcements will be updated on a periodic basis.
Nine Orthodox scouts received their religious awards medals in ceremonies held at local Orthodox churches on Scout Sunday, February 6, 2011. Below are proud scouts with their families and clergy at St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church (right) and Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church (left). Congratulations to everyone!
The following are photos of a gathering of local St. Louis Orthodox Scouts at an event held in the new St. Nicholas Family Life Center in Town and Country, Missouri on June 12, 2010.