SCOUT SABBATH 2013
Scout Sabbath was held at Temple Israel. Below, left to right, are Steve Sobelman, Shofar Award recipient, Maccabee Award recipient, Avery Fredman, Ner Tamid recipient, Rabbi Amy Feder, Caleb Stanfield, Aleph Award Certificate, and Earl Binder, Jewish Relations Committee Chairman.
Photograph by Bruce A. Levitt
JEWISH RELATIONSHIPS COMMITTEE
ANNUAL GOOD TURN 2013
Calling all Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts and Venturers:
PLEASE NOTE: The Jewish Relationships Committee Annual Good Turn will be May 26th, 2013 - we will again be assisting the Jewish War Veterans in placing flags on the graves of Jewish War Veterans at 7 Jewish cemeteries. We will assemble at 7am for a light breakfast at the Jewish Federation Building, located at 12 Millstone Campus Drive off Schuetz Road. While pre-registration is not required, we would encourage you to let us know approximate numbers from you unit so that the Jewish War Veterans can plan for breakfast. Please see the attached flyer. To speed up the registration process please print a copy of the registration form and fill it out before you arrive, if possible. We look forward to seeing you! For more information, contact Earl Binder (email@example.com 314.537.7675)
Jewish Relationships Committee
The Jewish Relationships Committee serves to maintain an open relationship, to assist in fulfilling the Scouting needs of Jewish institutions, and to meet the religious needs of Scouts and leaders of the Jewish faith.
The Committee will work with unit and district leaders in providing youth of the Jewish faith an opportunity to experience Scouting while maintaining their religious convictions. Adults will work with youth in earning their religious awards. The Shofar Award will be used to recognize outstanding efforts by adult leaders on behalf of youth of the Jewish faith. Representatives of all branches of Judaism will be involved to insure broad coverage of the Jewish community.
The committee also will,
- Provide Jewish services as requested by camporee and encampment committees (Jewish services are arranged through the Staff Advisor to the Committee).
- Encourage Cub Scouts, Scouts, and Explorers of the Jewish faith to work toward the earning of the Jewish religious awards.
- Review applications and select recipients for the Shofar Award. Shofar Awards will be presented during Scouting Anniversary Month (February).
- Encourage the extension of the Scouting program to potential Jewish institutions.
- Annually communicate with Rabbis of synagogues and temples in order to maintain cooperation with religious leaders.
Contact:Earl R. Binder,Chairman, Jewish Relationships CommitteeGreater St. Louis Area Council, B.S.A.firstname.lastname@example.org